Also known worldwide as soapnuts, soapberry, wash nuts, washnuts, soap berry nuts, Chinese soap berry, soapberries and many more.
NaturOli Nuts (our brand of Soap Nuts) are of only the highest grade and effectiveness. They are truly amazing gifts from Mother Nature - the ultimate 100% natural laundry detergent. As a major US importer, our Soap Nuts come directly from India and Nepal to ensure optimal quality. Quite simply, soap nuts are an EXTREMELY effective cleaning agent with absolutely NO chemicals, toxins or artificial perfumes. This pure natural detergent simply leaves your laundry amazingly clean and wonderfully fresh. Being so gentle and non-toxic, soap nuts are superb for fine, delicate fabrics and silks. NaturOli uses only select Soap Nuts from the Sapindus Mukorossi tree (its botanical name). They are the most effective and highest valued of the many types. (More explanation below.) Whether you have allergies, or are sensitive to commercial chemicals and fragrances, or just want to do your part for a greener earth, soap nuts are like an absolute dream come true.
ULTRA SIMPLE TO USE:
Just put 4-5 soap nuts (roughly a half-ounce) in the provided 100% cotton drawstring bag(s) and toss the bag of soap nuts in with your laundry. That's it. Remove the bag after the rinse cycle. The soap nuts can be reused 3 to 5 times, and the bag can be reused over and over until it wears out. The spent soap nuts are 100% biodegradable and can be discarded in the manner of your choice - totally green and eco-friendly!
HOW DO THEY WORK?
The name Soap Nuts is misleading for it is the SHELL (not the seed) of the soap nut that contains and releases the saponins (soap) when it comes into contact with warm water. When you use soap nuts, you are using only the shell - not the whole nut. The harvesters have already removed the seed. The released saponins circulate as a natural surfactant in wash water reducing the surface tension of the water and freeing dirt, grime and oils from clothes. Very simply, the soap nuts act the same as chemical detergents - but are completely natural! It is technically incorrect to refer to Soap Nuts as soap given that they contain no glycerin. True soap does. Interestingly however, soap nuts also act as a natural fabric softener, reducing the need for softening additives and dryer sheets. We have not used a dyer sheet since converting to full use of Soap Nuts as our primary laundry detergent. The shells can also be converted very easily to powder and liquid forms (do it yourself or we can provide). Hence, Soap Nuts offer a plethora of other household cleaning solutions - all totally hypoallergenic and completely chemical-free!
IDEAL ALIGNMENT WITH OUR MISSION:
Trademarked as 'NaturOli Nuts' soap nuts fit our mission perfectly as being another completely safe, non-toxic, natural alternative to chemicals that can be harmful to our skin and the environment. Your clothing is in contact with your skin all day long. Your body lays all night in sheets also washed with toxic chemicals. NaturOli Nuts as an alternative to detergents and cleansers are a perfect extension of our product line in keeping with our goal of bringing you safer and better ways in which to live your life.
Not only are NaturOli Nuts Soap Nuts good for your clothes, but by being eco-friendly and completely biodegradable, they are good for our environment as well. Used shells are even excellent for compost. Used properly, soap nuts are economical relative to commercial detergents -PLUS they dramatically reduce the need for other laundry additives. As the fastest growing importer and US distributor of soap nuts, we proudly introduce this absolutely amazing product line!
SO, WHAT EXACTLY ARE SOAP NUTS?
Soap Nuts are actually the dried shells (or husks) from the Soapberry (or Soap Berry Nut). The botanical name is derived from the Latin sapo (soap) and (Indian) indicus, referring to the lather-producing fruit. Soap Nuts are actually the fruit harvested from a soap nut tree (much like olives). There are two primary soap nut tree species (Mukorossi and Trifoliatus). Both are of the family Sapindaceae. The genus Sapindus. Mukorossi is a large tree primarily grown in and around the Himalayan Mountains of Northern India and Nepal.
The soap nut tree flowers are small, white and grouped in panicles. Its fruits are round, yellow berries, that become gummy, red and wrinkled as they ripen. Sapindus Trifoliatus is a smaller tree typically found in Southern India and Pakistan. It produces a smaller fruit. The Mukorossi soap nuts are larger, brighter in color and gloss, and more effective in producing the 'soapy' effect. Mukorossi soap nuts are typically exported from New Delhi (nearer their growth areas in the Himalayans). The Trifoliatus variety is often exported from Indonesia. These soap nuts are less desirable for they lack consistency and saponin content. In either case however, local farmers and families harvest the Soap Nuts after the fruit falls from the tree. The seeds are removed and the shells are dried in the sun. Hence, soap nuts are actually dried shells - not nuts. Regardless of the name (Soap Nuts, soapnuts, washnuts, Soap Berry, Soapberry nuts, etc.), the shell produces the soaping effect. The soap nut shell is what is actually used as the natural detergent.
Note: Other varieties of this remarkable tree grow around the world with differing data in regards to the effectiveness of their fruits. Mukorossi is simply the premier variety, and its fruits are the most cherished.
INTERESTING POINTS ABOUT SOAP NUTS:
- Soap nuts are a true answer and solution for sensitive skin types and infants. Fantastic for laundering diapers!
- Popular throughout Europe and Asia for centuries, yet virtually unknown in the US. (Hmmm.)
- Excellent for removal of odors.
- Naturally anti-fungal and anti-microbial.
- Hypoallergenic! - Many people have allergic reactions to detergents due to the chemicals and fragrances in them. Soap Nuts are totally free of such chemicals.
- Soap nuts are extremely versatile and can be used for numerous household-cleaning needs - even glass cleaning!
- Easily converted to powder or liquid forms at home.
- Virtually eliminate the need, and the expense, for brighteners, fabric softeners and dryer sheets.
- Naturally reduce static cling.
- Highly effective, yet very gentle.
- Being so mild, Soap Nuts help keep colors bright and maintain fabric structure.
- Shelf life is basically endless if properly stored (simply kept dry).
- Soap nuts do NOT pollute water!
- Resolve issues of grey water and are great for septic systems.
- Not harmful to animals.
- 100% biodegradable. Excellent for composting.
- No chemicals needed to produce.
- No fossil fuels used to produce - essentially no energy required.
- No animal testing or animal cruelty.
- Soap nuts are a completely natural product from a sustainable source.
- Since Soap Nuts are primarily a resource from only emerging nations, increased demand will provide an additional needed economic stimulus, plus will encourage increased planting, growth and farming. Increased forestation and natural means of harvesting will aid in the reversal of Co2 accumulation.